In the weeks that I’ve been in the MedShape weight loss program, I’ve been collecting and experimenting with great low carb recipes that are friendly to the MedShape nutrition or maintenance program. Now that I’ve got a good collection going, I want to start sharing them with you all. Hopefully you’ll return the sharing if you have delicious low carb recipes, too! (I’d love to see your favorite low carb recipes in the comments below!)
A few of my current favorite low carb recipes include Cucumber Dill Salad, a low carb version of Sweet Cinnamon Radishes, and Tangy Deviled Eggs. The Cucumber Dill Salad was a hit with everyone at our last bbq, and the Tangy Deviled Eggs are a lifetime favorite that fits in well with low carb recipes. And I know Sweet Cinnamon Radishes sound wacky but trust me, cooked radishes taste nothing like a raw radish and you may enjoy them as a unique treat, even if you don’t like them raw! Even just a steamed radish is a world of difference from a raw one.
Cucumber Dill Salad (serves 4)
Calories 30; Carbs 4; Fat 2; Protein 1; Fiber 1; Active Carb 3
- 3 cups of sliced cucumber with peel
- 2 tsp coarse sea salt
- 2 Tbsp light sour cream
- 1 Tbsp finely chopped onion
- 1 Tbsp fresh dill, chopped
- 1 Tbsp vinegar
- Optional – a few drops of liquid Stevia
- Slice cucumber (leave peel on for a lower active carb) into thin slices and place in a strainer.
- *Sprinkle with sea salt and put in the fridge, with a place under to catch the water drainage.
- *Mix dressing and place in fridge for 2 hours.
- *Remove cucumbers and rinse with water.
- Dry them with a paper town and toss them with the dressing.
- This serving allows for ¾ cup per person
* The salting and cooling of the cucumbers and dressing is not necessary but will prevent the dressing from becoming watery. It is better if you are making the recipe to entertain or with the intentions of having leftovers.
Tangy Deviled Eggs (serves 6)
Calories 154; Carbs 3; Fat 13; Protein 7; Fiber 1; Active Carb 2
- 6 Hard Boiled Eggs
- ¼ cup Spectrum Organic Mayo
- 1 Tbsp Yellow Mustard
- 1 Tbsp Vinegar
- Salt to taste
- 2 Tbsp Paprika
- Green Olives
- Optional – you can always add chopped pickles, green olives, cilantro, etc (just watch the carbs!)
- Start eggs to boiling
- In a small bowl, mix the rest of the ingredients
- Peel eggs when they have cooled (or buy the already peeled boiled eggs!)
- Slice in half, lengthwise
- Remove Yolk and add to bowl of ingredients
- Mix until smooth
- Put mix in ziplock bag and but a corner out
- Pipe egg mixture in egg whites with the ziplock
- Garnish with the paprika
- Top with green olives or bacon but beware it adds more fat and calories than I’ve listed above
And if you’re daring, you can try…
Sweet Cinnamon Radishes (serves 4)
Calories 136; Carbs 7; Fat 12; Protein 2; Fiber 1; Active Carb 6
- 12 Large Radishes
- ¼ stick Butter
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- ½ tsp Liquid Stevia
- Optional – add more or less cinnamon and Stevia, to your taste
- Preheat oven to 350 (toaster ovens will work, too)
- Wash radishes and cut the stem and root off each one. Slice large radishes into quarters or small radishes in half.
- Steam the radishes for 5 minutes, depending on thickness
- Add butter, cinnamon and liquid Stevia to a small sauce pan and heat until butter is melted.
- Toss radishes into the cinnamon butter pan and toss to distribute the sweetness.
- Place the radishes in a small pan and bake until they are tender.
I’ll try to post low carb recipes on a regular basis, so you will always have something fun and new to try!
Do you have any low carb recipes to share? Please post them in the comments below!